Posted on | December 14, 2012 | No Comments
Do you have trouble sleeping because of a snoring husband or wife? Bad thing is, your husband or wife might be suffering from sleep apnea which leads to greater risk of developing heart disease. Good thing is, you are not alone. Research says, 54% of couples either have a husband or wife who have snoring problem. Which means that, a lot of people can’t have that deep and peaceful sleep at night.
Snoring can be a chronic problem and is one of the many causes of marital relationship stresses. Add to this, 75% of people who snore have obstructive sleep apnea (when breathing is disrupted during sleep for short periods), which increases the risk of developing heart disease.
I have been raise in a family where a lot of people snore, from my father and mother to brothers and sisters. Growing up, I can surely swear that I did not snore and I will almost always sleep far from those who do. I just can’t sleep near people who snore. Good thing my wife doesn’t. Well, at least early on in our marriage. And now, I am a little bit uneasy to say, I now snore, and it’s not pretty at night.
If you snore on a regular basis, you might be a habitual snorer. Some habitual snorers can be at risk of Sleep Apnea. Here are some useful information about snoring and sleep apnea. There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): the most common of the three, occurs when there is a blockage of the airway (comes with very loud snoring).
- Central Sleep Apnea: much less common, it occurs when the brain fails to signal the muscles that control breathing. People with central sleep apnea seldom snore.
- Complex Sleep Apnea: a combination of the Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Central Sleep Apnea.
All of these can create several problems for the sufferer. If you suspect that you or a loved one suffers from sleep apnea, you should see your doctor as soon as possible. It can be difficult to know, as not all snoring sufferers have sleep apnea, and not all sleep apnea sufferers snore. It’s important to keep a journal to track your sleep and any symptoms that may appear.
If you are looking for a good gift idea this Christmas for your wife or husband, why not give him/her something that will benefit his/her health as well as give you both a good night sleep?
Snoring and sleep Apnea can be cure though. Here are some things you can do in the long run.
First and foremost, if you are overweight, shed those extra pounds! Even severe sleep apnea can be remedied if not eliminated by losing weight. It is the best thing you can do for yourself and for your loved ones.
Another very important change to make is to quit smoking. Smoking increases inflammation in your throat and upper airway and can increase snoring and apnea.
Avoid alcohol and sleeping pills right before bed as they relax the throat muscles and increase obstruction.
Reduce caffeine and heavy meals or snacks before bed, if you not, eliminate it all together.
Maintain a regular sleep schedule!
Don’t forget to go and see your doctor if you suspect you have Sleep Apnea. They can help diagnose how severe it really is and confirm the best course of action for you.
For the time being, there is one thing you can do to help you or the people you love stop or minimize snoring.
1. Sleep on your side. Lying on your back makes the base of your tongue and soft palate collapse to the back wall of your throat, causing a vibrating sound during sleep. Sleeping on your side may help prevent this. But for some people this is difficult to do because we have certain sleeping position that we are comfortable with. If you are not used to sleeping on your side, you may have pain on the side and numbness in your arms in the morning.
2. Use the Good Morning Snore Solution which has been known to help those suffering from OSA by pulling the tongue forward, and stop snoring. Read more about that on HOW IT WORKS page, or you can watch the video below.
Below is a video of how it works:
So, what are you waiting for? Get one and kiss snoring problem goodbye!
If you have some excellent gift ideas to help others build on a healthy and stronger relationship, please be free to share it at the comment section just below this post. Can’t wait to read what you want to say.